Millions of Americans suffer from chronic facial and neck pain as well as recurring headaches. In some cases, this pain is due to Temporomandibular Disorder, or TMD.
Your temporomandibular joints (TMJ) connect your lower jawbone to your skull. These joints get a lot of use throughout the day as you speak, chew, swallow, and yawn. Pain in and around these joints can be unpleasant and may even restrict movement.
Symptoms can include:
- Pain in the jaw area
- Pain, ringing, or stuffiness in the ears
- Frequent headaches or neck aches
- Clicking or popping sound when the jaw moves
- Swelling on the sides of the face
- Muscle spasms in the jaw area
- A change in the alignment of top and bottom teeth
- Locked jaw or limited opening of the mouth
Should you notice any of these symptoms, schedule an appointment with Duguid Dentistry to confirm your diagnosis and create an effective and customized treatment plan for you. At your appointment, Duguid Dentistry may recommend an oral appliance created for your unique needs. The appliance helps avoid the harmful effects of the symptoms of TMJ-TMD and may better position the jaw and/or adjust your bite.
There are a few simple steps you can take at home or work to prevent TMD from becoming more severe, or to prevent it from occurring:
- Relax your face; keep your lips together and your teeth apart
- Avoid grinding your teeth
- Avoid gum chewing
- Don't cradle the phone receiver between your head and shoulder; either use a headset or hold the receiver in your hand
- Chew food evenly on both sides of your mouth
- Do not sit with your chin rested on your hand
- Practice good posture; keep your head up, back straight, and shoulders squared
- Stress management and/or relaxation techniques
Let Duguid Dentistry help you achieve your dental goals so you can feel more confident about your appearance with a new smile that is as beautiful as it is healthy. Schedule an appointment today.